Civil G8 2006

Civil G8 — is your opportunity
to discuss global problems!

earth

News

Russia to host world religions summit in July - patriarch

Novo-Ogaryovo, April 19, Interfax - The world summit of religious leaders will take place July 3-4 in Russia, Patriarch Alexy II of Moscow and all Russia told Russian President Vladimir Putin on Wednesday.

Six catholic cardinals, the Archbishop of Canterbury, a number of Muslim religious leaders and the chief rabbi of Israel have agreed to attend, Alexy II told the president.

"This will be a truly inter-confessional and inter-religious summit," the patriarch said.

Putin related that during his latest visit to Azerbaijan, the Muslim leader of that country confirmed he would attend the summit.

As Russia presides over the Group of Eight, the religious leaders believe it necessary to remind the public that they speak for cooperation and against pseudo-religious ideas that divide people, against terrorism and violence, and for strengthening the moral base of life and strengthening the family, Alexy II said.

"I think that it would be useful to attract G8 attention to the common opinion of religious leaders on these questions," the patriarch said.

Moreover, he told the president about the recent World Russian People's Assembly in Moscow.

Participants of the assembly "did not spoke against anybody, but they said that they are for freedom and human rights," the patriarch said. "One should remember and know that there are moral landmarks that everyone must observe. Freedom must not be confused with permissiveness," Alexy II said.

Expert opinion

Halter Marek

Halter Marek
Le College de France
Olivier Giscard d’Estaing

Olivier Giscard d’Estaing
COPAM, France
Mika Ohbayashi

Mika Ohbayashi
Institute for Sustainable Energy Poliñy
Bill Pace

Bill Pace