Civil G8 2006

Civil G8 — is your opportunity
to discuss global problems!

earth

News

Britain to press fellow G8 countries to boost education aid

Chancellor Gordon Brown said today that he would press fellow Group of Eight countries to boost funding for education in developing nations at their summit next month.

Britain last month pledged around £8bn (?12bn) for education in the developing world over the next 10 years – about four times its previous 10-year funding.

“In St. Petersburg in June, I will press other G8 finance ministers to commit to their share,” Brown said at a meeting of African finance ministers in Abuja, Nigeria’s capital.

Brown said extra funds were needed to close a £200m (?293,533) funding gap for certain fast-track initiatives.

Brown asked African leaders to come forward with proposals that merit additional funding.

“On your part you need to demonstrate immediately that you have the plans in place that are ambitious, showing step by step over 10 years, your route to providing education for every child and the appropriate skills for your economy,” Brown said.

Nigerian President Olusegun Obasanjo said Nigeria has already prepared an educational plan to take advantage of the British financing.

Expert opinion

Halter Marek

Halter Marek
Le College de France
Olivier Giscard d’Estaing

Olivier Giscard d’Estaing
COPAM, France
Mika Ohbayashi

Mika Ohbayashi
Institute for Sustainable Energy Poliñy
Bill Pace

Bill Pace