Civil G8 2006

Civil G8 — is your opportunity
to discuss global problems!

earth

Publications

Putin prepared to initiate amendments to law on NGOs

“Unlike in so-called traditional democracies, in Russia there has not been so much time for development of civil institutions, and it is for this reason that the task of the state, as we see it, consists of creating all necessary conditions for their development, primarily in the legislative sphere”, announced President Vladimir Putin at a plenary session of the Civil G8 2006 International NGO Forum, which concluded in Moscow on 4 July.

According to an IA REGNUM correspondent, in this connection the head of state commented on the situation with regard to the new legislation on non-commercial organizations. He reminded attendees that the draft federal law ‘On Introduction of Amendments to Certain Legislative Acts of the Russian Federation’, which establishes heightened state control over the activities of non-governmental non-commercial organisations, was presented by the Minister of Justice to the Council of Europe based on the president’s personal instruction, following which amendments were made to it based on the recommendations received from the European experts. “I concede that this document is not perfect, but this does not exclude the fact that Russian public associations can draw attention to the practice that is established following its entry into force and make all the necessary remarks and proposals. And, let me assure you, we will consider all these remarks and proposals”, said the president.

Mr. Putin described the law, which has been much criticized by civil society representatives, as “aimed at bringing a defined order to this area of activity, but without imposing limitations”. “Should it become clear that tightening of conditions is taking place, we will be ready to react, and I myself am prepared to be the initiator of these changes, including based on your recommendations”, he told the forum’s participants. The hall answered the president with applause.

Expert opinion

Halter Marek

Halter Marek
Le College de France
Olivier Giscard d’Estaing

Olivier Giscard d’Estaing
COPAM, France
Mika Ohbayashi

Mika Ohbayashi
Institute for Sustainable Energy Poliñy
Bill Pace

Bill Pace